1.18.2009

everything i own {by david gates}

you sheltered me from harm.
kept me warm, kept me warm
you gave my life to me
set me free, set me free
the finest years i ever knew
were all the years i had with you

i would give anything i own,
give up me life, my heart, my home.
i would give everything i own,
just to have you back again.

you taught me how to love,
what it's of, what it's of.
you never said too much,
but still you showed the way,
and i knew from watching you.
nobody else could ever know
the part of me that can't let go.

i would give anything i own,
give up me life, my heart, my home.
i would give everything i own
just to have you back again.

is there someone you know,
you're loving them so,
but taking them all for granted.
you may lose them one day,
someone takes them away,
and they don't hear the words you long to say

i would give anything i own,
give up me life, my heart, my home.
i would give everything i own
just to have you back again.

{i just learned tonight from my husband that david gates wrote this after his father died. i had previously thought it was written about a past romantic love. hearing that one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite groups was written for a father was so cool. i identify with every word. i have even said almost the same words out loud many times... "i would give anything to just have one conversation with him again." today was a day that i really longed to talk to him. this was really great to learn on this day.}

7 comments:

Unknown said...

yesterday in church the sermon was about the fact that we are called to be a blessing and that blessing is not given to be accrued but to be given away and the accrual will be an automatic response. the pastor mentioned my dad. he stated how much he misses my dad because my dad lived by this principle. he said that he would give anything to just have my dad hug him again.

all of friday i was tearful as i recalled the phonecall to say that he was dead and the feeling that i no longer had a home and the loss that darkened my very being.

i am right here in this pain my g.

my prayers are yours.

Silver said...

:) my thoughts and prayers are with you, girl.

Char said...

I didn't know that but it makes sense to me....and I would for my parents too. I miss them both so much.

ELK said...

perfect image for an amazing song...one that many of us sing...it is not a happy club to belong to...

GailO said...

...I just listened to this on YouTube and tears came back to me as it does when I hear this song.. I didn't realize it was written for his father either but now it makes so much more sense...Thanks1..I don't think I have seen the lyrics written down before..

Chris said...

I never knew this either. I love Bread and think they have some very lovely songs.

Jane said...

This has always been one of my favorite songs, and yes, it is one I am singing in so many ways as well.
Sorrowful yet always rejoicing,
2 Corinthians 6:10

Jane