9.05.2009

still night


this is the river near to where i live. i went to take some pictures at around sunset/dusk, and i decided to use my new favorite technique for taking photos.

you'll notice i used it in the last post for a coulple of my tree shots, and i used it a few posts back in the sepia fence shot. what i do is put my camera on the super macro setting and then focus on my finger close up. i hold the focus in place and then point the camera at the subject i want to photograph and shoot. it works best on scenic shots like this.

i love the result--this sort of monet-esque quality where you get a sense of what the photo is, but you don't see the details, and the farther away from the photo you are or the more you squint at it, the more "real" it looks. in that way, to me, they are a lot like those impressionist paintings.

i'll be posting several more of these, as this is the kind of shots i've been taking over the past week. i am enjoying taking them, looking at them, and posting them. maybe i'll stop when i tire of them. but until then, you'll have to see some around here from time to time. i hope you like!

8 comments:

Carolyn Ford said...

Thank you for the explanation...I was wondering how you did these shots. I like the mood of uncertainty they create...very interesting.

Char said...

clever woman - this is lovely - love the purples

Memories Of Mine said...

This is a cool technique I'll have to try out.

It such a pretty effect.

Susan said...

magical ...

~h~ said...

Love those yellow twinkling lights in the distance and how the water looks like a mirror. My "mistake" shots always have tracers all over them which I don't like. It must be the finger trick. wink. wink.
Hope all's well, Georgia. Don't be a stranger. :)

Lisa said...

i really love these. this one especially is very peaceful. it is almost as though i am really there, and lost in a daydream, because when i daydream my eyes sort of drift off on nothing in particular and this is what the world looks like when i do that. love it!

Journeying Five said...

i like the way it makes the light pop against the dark and how it makes you stop and look twice.

jessica said...

so pretty! I don't usually take blurry photos (on purpose anyways, heh) but I'm going to start experimenting.